December 18, 2019
Aloha nui to each of you,
Here is our Ukes for Youth end of the year update for 2019:
First of all, it is with regret that we must announce that Uke-U 2020 will NOT be held this summer in Sisters, Oregon. The proposed partnership with the Sisters Folk Festival organization to present the festival will not transpire, in spite of strong efforts by both organizations, so Uke U 2020 is cancelled. Karen and I want to express our appreciation to each of you who have supported Ukes for Youth this year, including all of the ups and downs regarding holding Uke-U 2020.
A shout out to Craig Chee and Sarah Maisel and our other musician friends who hung in with us through all of this: You are the best, and we will do what we can to bring you to Bend in the future!
For the past decade, Ukes for Youth has supported ukulele-related programs and activities for folks of all ages, in Bend, in Central Oregon, and beyond. This year, after a long and fruitful association with Rise Up, we established Ukes for Youth as a tax exempt, 501(c) (3) educational foundation, “dedicated to fostering the Spirit of Aloha through Friendship, Education, and Ukulele Music.”
Some of the U4Y activities in 2019 are: Ukes in the School and Community Programs which provides instruments, instruction, and related support to:
- Area schools and before school/after programs
- Support for Summer Youth programs at Westside Village, the Bend Eastside Boys and Girls Club, and Trinity Lutheran Church
- “Not Uke U Campout” at Tumalo State Park
- Ukes for Youth Showcase and Ukulele Swap
- Presentations at Bend Summer Fest and other events
- Bend Ukulele Group: All of these activities are made possible by our association with and mutual support of the Bend Ukulele Group. As they (might) say in Hawaiian: Ukus no ka o’i! Bugs are the Best!
So, while Uke-U 2020 will not take place, we at Ukes for Youth are excited for all the great things that will happen in 2020. Follow us on Facebook or check back here for future updates, questions, comments, or to make a donation.
Bob Rasmussen, Karen O’Donnell
December 18, 2019
Bend Ukulele Group: Meets weekly every Tuesday from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Pappy’s Pizza in Bend. Ukulele music will put a smile on your face, guaranteed! You can find the weekly playlist on the BUGs Facebook page.